Ski Instructor Insurance

If you're a qualified ski instuctor, or snowboard instructor, and are heading to the slopes for work, then a comprehensive instructor insurance cover policy is essential. No multi trip or single trip for you - you need the works!

If you're lucky enough to have bagged yourself a job teaching people to ski or snowboard in a ski resort then it is essential you get the right level of instructor insurance to cover you for the whole season in resort. For speed, you can get a quote from our insurance partners right now:

Quick Quote for Ski /Snowboard Instructor Insurance :




Why Take Out Insurance At All?

It is staggering to learn that many people ski and snowboard each year without adequate ski insurance. Many simply rely on their EHIC card or their normal travel insurance. These two options are fundamentally flawed for two main reasons. Firstly the EHIC card-European Health Insurance Card is a reciprocal health agreement between European countries including Switzerland. This gives you access to state provided healthcare during a temporary stay in another European economic area. You can apply for EHIC through the EHIC online application form, this is free of charge, so do beware as unofficial websites will try and charge you.

EHIC will not however cover many of the things you may need should you have an accident on the slopes. So for example, mountain rescue is not covered, nor is being flown back to the UK. Lost or stolen property is also not included. So if your expensive skis or board gets stolen you have no claim on EHIC.

In addition, if you rely on your normal travel insurance many will not cover you for winter sports, off piste skiing and for equipment loss. So it is essential that you get winter sports cover.

What To Look For As A Ski Instructor

In addition to the need that any skier or boarder has to adequately insure themselves there are additional things as a ski instructor that you should look for in your insurance policy.

Don’t Rely On Your Employers Insurance

You may consider that your employer will cover you if there is a problem and some employers say that their insurance covers you. Do however check the small print as for example many of these policies will not cover you for repatriation back to the UK if your injury means that you need treatment and recuperation in the UK.

In addition a ski school insurance policy often only covers you whilst you are teaching on the mountain, so you need to ask your employer if you are covered whilst getting on and off the mountain and also in your leisure time.

Choose The Cover Carefully

Before selecting a policy list all the activities you will be teaching in and taking part in yourself. Do not assume that for example off piste is included in a policy. Off piste and heli skiing will all require additional insurance. You will also be asked what level of experience you have as an instructor and any pre- existing medical conditions.

Length of Time

It is essential that the policy covers you for the time you are away. It can also be useful to be able to extend it whilst you are away. Some policies will give you this flexibility. Some will also allow you to return to the UK for one trip during the period of the cover. Do think about what your movements will be during the season. Remember many seasons in ski resorts in Europe can last from 5-6 months.

Resorts Covered

Another thing to think about is whether you will be staying in one country. You may for example be skiing or boarding in a resort that gives you access to another country. Some policies will allow you to change this during the course of the policy but others won’t, so do check this out.

What Level of Cover?

When looking at the detail of what is included in your policy, we would advise the following. Aim for at least £2m for medical expenses. This will cover you for repatriation to the UK and for getting you off the mountain should the worse happen. Look for £1m personal liability cover, this should cover you if it is deemed that you are liable for somebody else’s accident. You may want to check that your lift pass is insured as it will need to be used the whole season. In addition do check that all your equipment is covered, look at what it would cost to replace your boots, skis, board and any other equipment of value.

It may well also be useful to look at whether you are insured should the piste be closed due to lack of snow and your ski lesson is cancelled.

The Dreaded Excess

A final tip is to really check the small print of any policy. What looks cheap may for example come with a high excess making a claim not cost effective. For example some cheaper policies set excess levels at £200, lose your gloves and the policy isn’t really worth it. Don’t skimp on ski insurance. It is a dangerous sport and injuries can involve costly hospital treatments and after care, so do ensure you are protected.